Saturday 14 April 2012

The culture I've tried immersing myself into ~

The times , at Beijing , I've been trying to be like any one of them. I wanted to be PART of them. I knew that the only way to understand their thoughts and actions , was to try immersing myself into their culture. Their culture is obviously not same as ours , but I don't mind trying . 

Firstly , I had to try to keep on speaking in their language. They spoke in Cantonese , Hokkien , Chinese and some others . And obviously they wouldn't understand if i spoke in English or Singlish ! 


Secondly , I had to hold the chopsticks properly there , in a restaurant. Otherwise , I won't be able to eat . I was terrified as i couldn't hold it well. But at the end of the day , I could master the way of holding the chopsticks !


Lastly , it was time to talk about manners ! Since young , I've never called anybody to eat before I eat. As in , I didn't address people who are older than me , before I start eating. Yes , I know it's rude , but i was brought up that way . I did not have anyone to call , before I eat , and that is because I don't usually eat with my parents. When I was in Beijing , my mother asked her friends out to eat with us. There was about 14 of them. And that's crazy ! I had to address them , and my family members , before I eat . But well , I survived through it ! 



EVERYTHING WASN'T THAT TOUGH THOUGH ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment